Career in M Tech Image Processing
A Career in M Tech Image Processing – Internet has widened the horizon of the usage of several applications for processing images and videos. Lot of images and videos are being shared and uploaded in the internet. The easy transfer of data across the devices also has increased the requirements of users for more sophisticated applications. Now-a-days, it is very much easy for anyone to capture a video or an image with the help of mobile devices. Tagging of images in the videos, image search, etc. has increased the need of image processing applications. Huge amount of data is being pushed to the internet by individuals as well as organizations. Because of all these reasons, the area of digital image processing, computer vision and multimedia has a promising future. If you are looking for a bright career after M Tech, there are wide opportunities for you to work in the industry or in research or in academia.
Satellite image processing is also an interesting area of research with the applications including national security. Several other areas of applications include Medical Imaging, search engines, home security, etc. Image processing is also applied in Robotics.
Most of the universities and IITS / NITs offer core courses in Digital Image Processing, Signal Processing, Video Processing, and Computer Vision with the necessary background covered in mathematical courses as part of M Tech Image Processing. If your passion is to teach, then I would recommend doing a good project as part of M Tech, find out an internship possibility in the area of interest. It is better to pursue teaching job after M Tech by doing parallel research. This article can help you to choose the best option as career after your M Tech in Image Processing.
Digital Image processing is primarily concerned with the changes and transformations to be made on the image. The computer vision is mainly for the 3D – 2D world. Both require strong fundamentals in algorithms. If you are looking for a teaching job as career after M Tech, then you would need a sound base in the mathematical and algorithmic topics. You may also need analytical and development skills if your plan is to look for an industrial job as career after M Tech. Usually the preferred programming language is C/C++/Python/Matlab.
Here are some of the research areas you can pursue if you are interested in taking up research as a career after M Tech. Getting a job in doing research after M Tech is now-a-days possible in various centrally funded institutions. Most of the central government institutions have funded projects associated with the department.
- Signal processing
- Pattern recognition
- Control theory
- Artificial intelligence
- Face Recognition
- Image Deblurring and Dehazing
- Underwater Imaging
- Depth Estimation of Dynamic Scenes
- Compressed Imaging
- Rolling-shutter cameras
- Image Splicing
- Aerial Imaging
- Depth from Motion Blur
- Image and Video Matting
- 3D Geometry In-painting
- HDR using Handheld Camera
- Geographic Information Systems
- Remote Sensing
- Satellite Image Processing
- Mineral Systems Studies and Mineral Exploration
- Environmental Pollution Studies
- Hydro-geology and Environmental Assessment and Monitoring
- Atmospheric Science Data Analysis
- Remote sensing of Cryosphere Components
- Underwater microscopic shape from focus
- De-skewing of underwater images
- Motion estimation in compressed imaging
- Image and Video Matting
- Image De-hazing
- Colour Based Tracking
There are several emerging applications being developed in the above research areas. In the present age, space research and applications is gaining importance. Research in above areas is promising for the future because of the growing demand and need of image processing in several applications in the day today life of common man. With a wide range of opportunities and focused areas in research and industry, you can certainly find a bright future prospects in your career in M Tech Image Processing
On the other hand, if you are looking for an industrial job as a career in M Tech Image Processing, here are some skills you would require:
- Video / image processing or analytics/ computer vision OR
- Building algorithm
- Module development for the applications and systems
- Morphological operations
- Pattern Recognition systems
- Hands on experience in working with real time computer vision systems.
- Strong programming skills in C/C++/C#/Python
- Good experience in Matlab / OpenCV
- Good experience in 3D Vision using Depth sensors
- Exposure to Image Processing Apps on Mobile Platforms
- Hands on skills in Deep Learning
- Hands on skills in Hyper spectral Imaging
- Augmented Reality experience is a big plus
Expected Roles & responsibilities: –
- Conceptualize, design and product delivery
- Sustenance delivery – based on the standards defined in a particular technology
- Understand the up-gradation of work with new technologies for client requirement satisfaction
- System architecture review and deliverable design
- Understanding of the domain and technology
- Gathering of requirement specification from the clients and connecting it with the technology and domain
- Training for the team for ensuring the demand of man power is met.
- Mitigate the delivery risks
- Algorithm Porting and Optimisation
- Medical Imaging
Some of the companies that offer jobs in Image Processing are
- HCL Technologies
More companies that offer job for M Tech in Image Processing can be found here.