B Tech Electrical Engineering
B Tech Electrical Engineering programme lays down a strong base to the students core electrical engineering concepts by exposing them to the latest technologies. A best, well designed curriculum will always provide the students with an excellent foundation in the four broad and basic areas of Electrical Engineering – communication technology, control technology, electronics, and power & energy. Through electrical engineering elective courses, a strong insight into the state-of-the-art technologies is further gained through the elective courses offered in the final years, that are carefully crafted for the interested students.
After the B.Tech in Electrical Engineering, one can choose to pursue higher education like M.Tech Electrical Engineering or M S programme. At the post graduate level, the students get chance to work on interesting research problems in the some of the areas of specialisation like: Microelectronics & VLSI, Control & Automation, Power Engineering, Signal Processing, Communication & Networks, RF & Microwaves and Photonics.
Needless to state, interdisciplinary projects and studies alone cannot make an engineering profession complete. In most of the centrally funded institutions, there are various funded research projects being carried out by faculty members. There are projects collaborated with the industry helping the students to work in an industrial environment through internships. The fact is that you can decide which path you need to proceed – whether a research based one or an industrial one. Undergraduate programmes help to get exposed in both the cases. There are best rated engineering colleges and central institutions in the country that has been recognized world over for its academic excellence specifically in undergraduate education.
Basically, any B Tech Electrical Engineering program comprises of core courses in electrical engineering, elective courses offered by the department, institute electives by other departments, seminars, experiments in laboratory, minor and major projects, etc. In a choice based credit system, the program offers sufficient flexibility for the students to take various elective courses that provide exposure in various disciplines of electrical engineering such as Telecommunications, Microelectronics and VLSI design, Power Electronics and Power System, Control System and Embedded Systems. The undergraduate students can also undertake various research projects that is useful for both placement and for pursuing higher education.
B Tech Electrical Engineering – Objectives
- To generate qualified, motivated and professional graduates with basic knowledge and understanding of electrical and electronics engineering who can provide solutions to the problems and facilitate services to the community at large.
- To promote research & innovation, and to keep abreast of emerging technologies in electrical and electronics engineering in order to serve the needs of industry, scientific community, and society.
There are some institutions offering a unique mix of electrical, electronics and computer related courses so as to enable the students to take up a professional career / higher studies in any of emerging areas related with the discipline. Most curriculum based on a choice based credit scheme is updated periodically to reflect changes in the electrical & electronics engineering profession with expert opinion from industries and renowned academic institutions.
B Tech Electrical Engineering – Programme Outcomes
- Engage in design of systems, tools and applications in the field of electrical and electronics engineering and allied engineering domains.
- Apply the knowledge of electrical and electronics engineering to solve problems of social relevance, and pursue higher education and research.
- Work effectively in a team, carry out multidisciplinary projects, and demonstrate leadership qualities.
- Engage in lifelong learning, career enhancement, and adapt to changing professional and societal needs.
- Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering to solve the electrical & electronics engineering problems.
- Identify, formulate and solve power & energy system problems.
- Design and conduct experiments on analog and digital electronic systems to analyze and interpret data.
- Apply the principles of electrical circuits and machines for testing and analysis.
- Design control systems as per needs and specifications, analysis of power electronic systems.
- Model and simulate electrical signals and systems using modern engineering tools.
- Practice professional ethics and engage in life-long learning.
- Communicate effectively and work in a team to achieve project objectives with financial considerations.
- Recognize professional and personal responsibility towards the environment & community.
B Tech Electrical Engineering – benefits in Choice Based Credit System:
- If there are innovative practices included as part of the curriculum like practice school, mini projects associated with lab and theory courses, continuous evaluation, relative grading, etc., then there will be a qualitative output at the end of the program.
- If you wish to choose the best college for electrical engineering, check if the department has excellent link with leading industries, academia and has a well-connected alumni network. Infrastructure facilities can include well equipped laboratories with audio-visual equipment for effective demonstration of practical, etc.
- Some of the labs include: Integrated Electronics Lab, Power Electronics & Drives Lab (UG & PG), Electrical Machinery Lab, Circuits and Measurements Lab, Microprocessors and Embedded Systems Lab, Lighting Simulation & Measurements Lab (PG) and Departmental Library.
- It is beneficial for the student to pay regular visits to reputed industries and power stations.
- As a recent trend, most of the best colleges in the country encourage students to present and publish their project work in reputed national / international conferences/ journals.
B Tech Electrical Engineering – Placement Opportunities
ABB, Deloitte, Ericsson Global, GE Health Care, GMR Energy, Grasim, HCL, JSW Steel, L&T, L&T-ECC, Moog, M&M, Nomura, Philips Electronics, Schneider Electricals, TCE, Tesco, Wipro VLSI, WS Atkins, Tata Motors, Reliance, Toshiba, Accenture, HCL, IBM, iGATE PATNI, Mphasis, TCS, Wipro and Infosys.
Research areas for B Tech Electrical Engineering projects
- ANN and fuzzy logic applications in robotics and control
- Distribution system planning and operation
- Economic dispatch and planning
- Flexible AC transmission system
- Optimal system operation
- Power system protection, monitoring, control and simulation
- Power quality, Relay coordination
- Power system automation
- Artificial intelligence applications and Voltage stability of power system
- Telemedicine, ECG signal analysis and classification
- Digital signal and image processing
- Intelligent instrumentation
- Industrial instrumentation
- Medical system modelling
- Instrumentation and bio-informatics
- Process instrumentation and control
- System analysis and optimization
- Database management
- FPGA based control
- System automation and monitoring
- Reliability engineering
- System modelling
- Computer controlled system including process control
- Computer controlled multi-quadrant solid-state converters
- Condition monitoring of electrical machines/drives
- High performance computer controlled DC and AC drives
- Modelling and simulation of electric machines